If color is what you are looking for, start with a simple recipe for buttercream frosting.
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter
3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Beat together powdered sugar and butter. Slowly add milk and maple extract and beat until fluffy.
Simply squeeze a few drops of the color you want right into the bowl of mixed frosting. I always start with a couple of drops and stir. Then you will know whether you want a darker color. If you want a deep and true color, food color pastes are your best bets!
But you don’t have to stop at just color for your frostings. How about a boost of flavor? There are so many different extracts and mix-ins available, the different combinations are endless. Here are some tasty ideas.
- Confetti: 1/4 cup candy sprinkles
- Maple-Nut: 1/2 teaspoon maple extract and 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Mint Chip: 1/4 teaspoon mint extract, 1/3 cup chocolate chips and 2 or 3 drops green food color
- Peanut Brittle: 1/3 cup crushed peanut brittle
- Peppermint Crunch: 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract and 1/3 cup crushed peppermint candy (Add a few drops of red or green food color if desired.)