Valentine’s Day is only two days away. Do you know where your one-of-a-kind, totally thoughtful, screams-I-love-you gifts for your family are? Yeah, me neither. But this year I’m not stressing because I’ve got something better in mind: biscuits.
I know, I know. Biscuits may not scream Valentine’s Day like chocolates or flowers. But I’ve given these ones a little flair that’ll make them a super cute and really tasty way to kick off the holiday. All it takes is two ingredients (three if you count the optional sugar garnish) and a cookie cutter. That’s it. Within 15 minutes, you’ll have a heart-shaped, jam-filled breakfast goodie.
First, choose your biscuits. I went with Grands! Flaky Layers Honey Butter Biscuits because I thought the honey would be a nice complement to the jam. I spread them out on my work surface and then, using a 1 1/2-inch cookie cutter, I cut hearts out of the centers of the biscuits.
I also used a larger cutter to make bigger hearts out of the biscuits. (You can see them in the top center of the photo below.) After all the cutting was done, I placed the cut-out biscuits, heart centers and larger hearts on a baking sheet. Tip: This is a great time to sprinkle a few of them with sugar for an extra-sweet touch. Bake the biscuits according to the directions on the package.
When they were finished, the biscuits were golden brown, and the sugar-topped ones had a slightly caramelized finish. I couldn’t wait; I had to try one immediately. And then another. And then I had to stop myself because I remembered they were supposed to be for my loved one.
To serve, I placed a biscuit on a small serving plate and dolloped a little jam in the center. I thought it’d be cute to put the small heart cutout on the side, but you could also set it on top of the cutout to hide the jam for a surprise. I gave the whole plate a little sprinkle of powdered sugar, poured a glass of orange juice and told my boyfriend I had a surprise for him. The verdict? So simple but so good – I think my boyfriend may have fallen in love with me all over again.
Even though they’re simple, these biscuits are still impressive. But if you’d like to sweeten your offering a little more, here are a few ideas:
- Slice the larger heart cutouts crosswise, then spread with jam and a little whipped cream (like a sandwich). Then bring on total decadence by drizzling with some melted chocolate chips.
- Dip half of each heart cutout in melted chocolate chips. Serve plain, roll in nuts or coconut, or decorate with red sprinkles.
- Spoon a little chocolate hazelnut spread in the center of the cutout biscuits, then top with a bit of peanut butter.
- Make a simple powdered sugar glaze (powdered sugar mixed with a little milk) and drizzle over the biscuits. Finish with a sprinkle of mini chocolate chips.
- Chop some fresh strawberries and place in the center of the biscuits; top with whipped cream.
What do you plan to serve your Valentines this weekend?