Make your vanilla more vanilla-y and your sage sage-ier with these five tips for getting the biggest, boldest, brightest flavor from any recipe!
- Measure vanilla first. When using vanilla extract with other extracts, always add it first. Vanilla enhances the flavors in other extracts.
- Always crush dry herbs. When using dried herbs, such as thyme, crush or rub the herbs together with your fingers before adding to the dish. This "activates" the oils to bring out more flavor.
- Add almond. Almond extract enhances coconut or cherry flavors in baked goods—use in combination with the fruit or the extract for delicious results.
- Timing is everything. High heat can make extracts become less potent or flavorful. Add extracts toward the end or after cooking sauces or other hot items to preserve the best flavor.
- Better together. Pair extracts with spices for gourmet enhanced flavor. For example, thyme and lemon extract would make a wonderful addition to a pound cake or butter cookie.