- 1 large pot, at least 3 quarts
- A heat-safe container for your pickles (Think gallon-size ice cream bucket or large soup pot.)
- Canning jars, if desired for storage
- 25 pickling cucumbers
- 2 quarts water
- 1 quart apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup pickling salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 large bunch of fresh dill or small container dill seed
Step 1: Add 2 quarts water and 1 quart apple cider vinegar to a large pot on the stove over medium heat. While the mixture on the stove is coming to a boil, wash up your baby cucumbers. If you’re ambitious you can take these right from the garden, but they’re widely available at grocery stories and farmer’s markets.
Step 2: Slice the cucumbers (lengthwise, or in hamburger slices—it’s up to you!) and put in a large heat-safe container that has a tight-fitting lid. I actually used a Dutch oven. Whatever you use, make sure it’s something you don’t mind smelling like vinegar for a bit.