- If eating whole, simply wash before eating.
- For salads and desserts, wash, peel and cut pears using a small sharp knife or vegetable peeler to remove the thin skin.
- To halve pears, cut lengthwise and remove the core with a small knife.
- Brush sliced pears that will not be immediately eaten with a little lemon juice to keep them from turning brown.
- If you want to poach or stuff whole pears, use a melon baller to remove the core from the bottom, leaving the rest of the fruit whole.
- A medium pear will give you about 1 cup of slices.